WordPress Print This Section
Now Updated to Version 2.0.4 – WordPress 3.1.1 Compatible!
Have you ever wanted the possibility of letting your users print out just a section of a post or page? Deliver only the necessary parts in hard form without wasting all the extra paper and ink! This plugin will allow users of your wordpress install print out a designated section of a page or post. Great for printing out things like directions, instructions or recipes, although the uses are unlimited.
This plugin seems to work best when you have a custom permalink structure instead of the default link structure. I highly recommend you change your permalink structure to something that is a little more SEO friendly than the ‘/?p=xxx’ format.
Print This Section allows wordpress contributors to create a section of a post with a print button to allow for easy printing of that section. Good examples of this would be a recipe or driving instructions with a map. It will create a secondary window, print out the selected section and then close the window automatically. It will also add a “Print This” button to your post and page editors. You can add multiple Print This sections on a single page or post, but they must not overlap each other. WordPress will have a bad day if they are nested in each other.
This revised edition has been entirely reworked. Inspiration and some sections of code were adapted from WP-Print by Lester Chan. Unlike WP-Print, Print This Section is designed to print just a subset of the post and not an entire post or page.
* Easy to implement printing function.
* Customized Print Button Text and selectable image.
* Custom TinyMCE button added to Visual Editor.
* Allows for setting each button text individually if desired.
* Can optionally add Footer and Copyright information.
* Is setup for language translation files for easy globalization.
* Multi-section capability re-added.
- Requires WordPress 3.0+
You can download the plugin here: Download Link
- Upload wp-print-this-section directory into you wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Login to your WordPress Admin menu, go to Plugins, and activate it.
- Adjust plugin settings found under Settings -> Print This in the administrators dashboard.
- You may edit the css files found in the wp-print-this-section/css folder to adjust how the print this box appears on your page.
- - IMPORTANT – Go to your wp-admin Dashboard -> Settings -> Permalinks and click the “Save Changes” button. This will update your redirections to include the /printthis option.
Simply highlight the section of your post that you wish to select for printing. Then press the “Print This” icon to add the shortcode to the post, or can add the [print_this] … [/print_this] shortcodes manually around the section you would like printed.
You may set Print This Section Settings on the Settings->Print This page. These settings include customizing the Print Button and Disclaimer / Footer information, as well as turning on or off various bits of information like Title, By Line, and URL information.
If you would like to customize each print section button then add the text attribute to the shortcode as follows: [print_this button_text=’Print!’]Your text and images that you wanted printed.[/print_this]
\* button_text=’Print!’ is not required and may be omitted.
Have a comment, question or feedback? You can leave it here: Feedback
If you feel this plugin has been helpful to you or your website, please make a donation to help keep it fresh and new.